Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Spectacle of Beauty and Horror best known as a Radiohead show

I was pleased and honored to have witnessed, not only my first Radiohead show (meaning there's more to come), but also a Radiohead show that kicks off their world tour in, of all places, West Palm Beach, Florida. I'm still a little confused as to why they had to play at a venue in a city so far from my home, and so boring in every aspect. Yet, I'm not here to fully give complaints about my concert experience... I emphasize fully, since I do have a couple of complaints-- but they're only complaints that come with consistently going to concerts.

Photobucket

After watching this show, I completely realized that Radiohead is probably the biggest band on Earth... if not, the biggest Alternative band on this marble of ours. I don't mean to hyperbolize... mainly because I don't think I am exaggerating... they really are this huge. I think it's bold to say all those things and to also say that they're the only band to define our generation.

Concert Story.

I had a long day. I went to school and when my class ended I went straight to work. After work I went home to change and my friends picked me up to go to the show.

We were late because we left late (typical, I think, because the people I went with have a bad track record in terms of concert punctuality) .

We missed the opening band, Liars, whom I wanted to see since I have a couple of their albums and they sound like a noisier Radiohead.

There was an extreme amount of traffic closing in on the exit to the amphitheater.

When we got there, I could already hear Radiohead playing-- they were playing There There. I have to be honest, I was completely angry that we missed, to my knowledge, about 3 songs. That's about 10 minutes, or so, of music that we missed and could've enjoyed if it not had been for traffic. But it's okay, because we got ourselves situated onto our lawn standing positions and got a really far but clear view of Radiohead performing.

Just off the bat, the first thing you notice was how fucking complicated and beautiful the lighting of the show was. It was the most incredible I've ever seen. It was like this huge projection of lights onto this screen along with these, I'd say 16-17, pallets going across the stage projecting even more lights. It's hard to explain, but it was both incredible and admirable.

The show was amazing. They played a lot of songs from Kid A (which I was worried wouldn't happen), In Rainbows (of course), Hail To The Thief, a little bit from OK Computer, and a couple of songs from The Bends, surprisingly. I was completely disappointed to not hear any songs from Amnesiac which is their most underrated album as well as, arguably, my favorite one.

Here's the set-list:

1. All I Need
2. Bodysnatchers
3. There There
4. Reckoner
5. The Gloaming
6. Morning Bell
7. Nude
8. How To Disappear Completely
9. 15 Step
10. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
11. Idioteque
12. Bulletproof... I Wish I Was
13. Where I End and You Begin
14. Airbag
15. Everything In Its Right Place
16. National Anthem
17. Videotape

FIRST ENCORE:

18. Optimistic
19. Just
20. Faust Arp
21. Exit Music (For A Film)
22. Bangers and Mash

SECOND ENCORE:
23. House Of Cards
24. Street Spirit.

The crowd-- everyone. From scenesters to bros to aging hipsters. The bros were a little annoying. This guy in front of me was VIDEOTAPing the show on his cellphone yet he was so busy slam-dancing to "House of Cards" and "How To Disappear Completely" that he officially became the worst youtube camera-man in the website's history. He was a tool.

Highlight of the night.

Idioteque and Morning Bell (Kid A Version). Both of these songs were played with such ferocity and perfection-- I think both songs perfectly display Radiohead's sound... a spectacle of beauty and horror.

I also bought an In Rainbows LP-- jesus, dude... I've devoted so much money to that fucking album, just because of the guilt paying nothing for it when it was up for download in October. Oh well. Worth it.



Ok this video has nothing to do with Radiohead... it's Dan Deacon playing Trippy Green Skull at the Bowery Ballroom-- I just really like this song, a lot... so here ya go.

No comments: