Thursday, May 20, 2010

Music in bulk

I felt like writing an array of micro-music reviews during class, just so I can get some of my indie-rock frustrations out.

1. The new Sleigh Bells record totally fulfilled my expectations: it sucks. Could not stand the singles I had heard from the previous year and I definitely cannot stand the obnoxiousness that's in this record. Not sure what people see in it. Or should I say hearing? Supposedly people like it because it's loud? So? And M.I.A. endorses the hell out of it? She's going crazy anyway.

2. Watched Dinner with a Band yesterday on IFC with Yacht as the special guest. The chef cooked them a Mushroom Vegan Picatta dish and served them a nice little cocktail. I've seen Yacht live before and they're totally cool dudes. And they were even cooler/dorkier on the show. I love that band a lot.

3. The only song I really like on LCD Soundsystem's "This is Happening" is All I Want. Great song.

4. The new Flying Lotus album Cosmogramma is fuckin' CRAZY. I mean I expected it to be good, but I didn't expect it to be totally fucked up as well. Even more druggy and trippy. So good.

5. Not sure why I'm still holding on to a band like Minus the Bear, a band I put little stake in years ago because of top-shelf indie status. It had hints of that math rock aesthetic as well as an emo sensibility I was still too comfortable with. But man, their albums got progressively worse. Experimentation works for a lot of bands, but MtB just got so bad. They got more math and less emo, and that totally ruined them. Menos el Oso (as ridiculous as that album name is) was a pretty more-than-decent record. Also-- I hate those ridiculous song titles. Can't stand it. Their new album Omni is just pure trash. So lame and not even that disappointing because I've lost so much faith in this band so I don't really give a fuck.

6. I co-hosted a Fucked Up showcase with a fellow DJ Hector and man it was awesome. Made me love that band even more.

No comments: